Mother's sacrifice

Hi! I forgot I had a blog. I found one of my stories yesterday on google and came back to have a look and try to edit some of my work. I forgot to mention that English is my second language and it is a little rusty so bear with me please. 

I was born on July 1st, 1995. I am the first child of Onosang Alexander and Misako David Alexander. They are not Japanese, they are also not named after Japanese. My father is pure Pohnpeian. My mother on the other hand is half Chuukese half Pohnpeian. My father quit school when he was in 5th grade. He married my mother when she was in high school grade 10. This results in my mother not finishing school.

A year later, she got pregnant. Born a girl she named Stephanie Alexander, because at that time the movie Grease 2 is very popular. Anyways, my mother came from a family that does not really care about doing finishing up chores at home. However, my father's side of the family is the opposite. My father's father has his own vision of a better tomorrow, "work hard today, you will live a better tomorrow."

This is where the conflict comes up, my father's family hated my mother. She cannot fit in and help with the chores. She had no experience in cooking a chicken, she does not even know how to clean it. She tried but it is never enough. First impression is bad, so they can never see her get better. 11 Months after, my brother Alex Alexander is born, premature baby. 4 years after, twin boys are born Camren & Samren Alexander. They are very short and very chubby. 4 years after, our princess of a sister was born, Gellcy Alexander.

At 11 months, I became a big sister. I stopped getting attention from both parents because my brother had to be in the hospital for a week or 2. My grandparents look after me, but not enough attention was given because this is a extended family. My father's younger brother is the same age as me. My grandparents are still having children at that time so grandchildren are not really cared for.

My mother hated this life she chose. She raised us making sure that we do not live by our grandfather's vision. She made me and my siblings believe that a better tomorrow is beyond a full, busy, and hardworking days in school.

This gives me great motivation. Growing up watching my mom being abused physically, mentally, and spiritually by my father's side of the family. I would go to sleep at night thinking about ways to make this life a better one. My mother thought building our own house will be the solution, she was wrong. Nothing changed when we build our house. She thought having my father migrate to Hawaii to work in Pineapple plantation would help, she was wrong. So she turn to us, her children.

But no matter what she face in life, she never gave up. She was determined to stay and raised us. One time, I had to watch my father's older sister fight with her. She did nothing, she stood there blocking and taking her hits. My father was at work.

Later that evening, she said. "Kanengamah ke pan nsenamwahu ehu rahn." (Be patience and you will live a good life one day.)

Do you ever sit and ask why life is being so unfair? Because to succeed in life, we have to fail a lot of certain things to be able to stand back up tall and strong.

This is an overall story of how my mother handled life.

March 2022.
 Fast forward to today. 
My mother is still sacrificing so much for us. She now has what is called gout I think. My little sister is a senior now in HS. I now live with my husband Ryan in the States along with my brother Cam and Alex. Well  in the same State but not under the same roof. 
My mother sacrificed a lot because she made a decision to get married at an early age. She decides to marry a complete stranger my father whom she does not know personally. But because she was physically attracted to him ew. 
She got pregnant and they got engaged and she moved to my father's parents home and started a family. I grew up and I saw how difficult it is to live life without school, with many small children, with a husband who is constantly leaving to go work abroad, and with in-laws who does not like it. 
I am proud to say I walk a different path. I went to college, I graduate with a Bachelors degree in Elementary Edu. I got engaged and got a teaching job at age 22. 
How? My mother sacrificed it all. She made sure I went to school, with a filled belly, clean clothings, fixed hair, school supplies, made sure I get enough sleep.

I made it because she is there is make sure I stand back up and I love this women. I love you nohno Mis.
Thank you God for all the back support . 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nan Madol Ruins

Peace Corps Workshop

Funeral ceremonies