Greetings

When I was in high school, one of my granduncle have a peace corps volunteer live with him and his family. His name is Jerick Abon, he's Asian but was born and raised in the United States. So we, the kids were encouraged to visit Jerick everyday after chores so we can speak English with him and he'll help us with our English. One day we went over to his house and my granduncle Walet but we call him using his traditional title Soumadau (so-mad-ow). Soumadau and Jerick were talking and I had to walk in between them. So I bent down when I walked between them. Jerick stopped talking and looked at me and asked, "hey Stephanie is your back hurting?"My uncle laughed and said, "Its traditional," then he explained.

When two elders are sitting and talking and you walked next to them or passed them, you bend while you walk passed them and say ,"iheng" (eeh-short e- eng). And when you walk passed by elders on the road, sitting, or wherever they are, stop and greet them, bend and say ,"Kaselehlie" (gas-ell-ell-yea). You bend your head or your upper body when you greet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nan Madol Ruins

Peace Corps Workshop

Funeral ceremonies